Speaker - February 23, 2017
Karyn Ewart, Founder, The Sycamore School
“Learning is not a spectator sport! - Experiential education for a 21st century workforce”
A growing number of today’s high school graduates lack the skills to be successful in college and the workforce. In Arlington, many parents are frustrated that our public schools are overcrowded with large classes and scripted one-size-fits-all teaching. Dr. Karyn Ewart, founder of The Sycamore School, a new independent secondary school opening in Arlington September 2017, will share how her new school’s approach addresses these issues through personalized, engaging and experiential learning, helping students make connections across content areas and to the real world.
Dr. Ewart holds a B.S. in psychology from Vanderbilt, an M.S. in psychology from American University, and a Ph.D. in clinical psychology from the California School of Professional Psychology. She is a licensed clinical psychologist and has extensive experience working with adolescents in schools, including students with learning differences, as well as in developing and implementing character-education programs, social-skills curricula, and school-wide behavior management systems. She also served as a secondary-school director. She believes that engaging students to be active members of a community, within a school setting, serves as a catalyst for developing positive relationships, facilitating growth, and effecting change.
Dr. Ewart grew up in Arlington, where she now lives, and is active in the community.
- Feb 23 -- Lunch Meeting at the WGCC: Linda Lindberg, Director of Elections and Registrar, Arlington County: “How Accurate Are Virginia’s Voter Roles?”
- Mar 2 – Lunch Meeting at the WGCC: Mary Beth Crosson of Independent You
- Mar 2 - Happy Hour at The Front Page, 6 – 8 pm.
- Mar 2 – 4 – Multidistrict “Chesapeake Presidents-Elect Training Seminar (PETS)” at Westfield Marriott, 14725 Conference Center Dr., Chantilly VA
- Mar 9 – Lunch Meeting at the WGCC: Linda Billings, Consultant to NASA's Astrobiology Program and Planetary Defense Coordination Office, National Institute of Aerospace, on “Going to Mars – How? When? And What Shall We Do When We Get There?”
- Mar 16 – Lunch Meeting at the WGCC: Mike Lee Pope, author, “Wicked Northern Virginia.”
- Mar 16 - Happy Hour at The Front Page, 6 – 8 pm.
- Mar 18 – Rotary Leadership Institute (RLI) training, George Mason University
- Mar 23 – ARC Executive Board Meeting, 11:00 AM – All members welcome to attend.
- Mar 23 - Lunch Meeting at the WGCC: Daniel Blaine [or other speaker] - Bridges 2 Independence
- Mar 30 - Lunch Meeting at the WGCC: Brian Karns, Director, and Courtney Morris -The Kitchenaid Senior PGA Championship
- Apr 6 – Lunch Meeting at the WGCC: Brig Pari, Exec Director, SMASH STEM Foundation – “Sports, Math, and Scientific Hypothesis”
- Apr 6 - Happy Hour at The Front Page, 6 – 8 pm.
- Apr 13 – Lunch Meeting at the WGCC: Kelsey Clarke – The Solar Foundation
- Apr 13 - Happy Hour at The Front Page, 6 – 8 pm.
- April 20 – ARC Spring Gala; details pending
- April 27 – Lunch Meeting at the WGCC: Jane Rudolph, Arlington County Parks & Recreation
- May 18-21 – District 7610 Annual District Conference, Wintergreen Resort, Wintergreen VA